I just love anything with berries. For me, nothing beats the taste of a juicy, ripe, sweet strawberry. I’ve been inspired recently while watching The Food Network to make a little list of recipes you’ll love!
If you’re currently on a diet like me, I will provide my own little “recipe” first of the perfect dessert. Growing up I used to eat this as a healthy alternative to eating anything baked, since this dessert has only two ingredients and only natural sugars.
1. Sweet Strawberry Summer Treat: for this recipe, I cut up several strawberries after washing them in the sink. How hungry I am and the size of the strawberries depends on how many are used. This is not only a great dessert, but a terrific snack. After cutting the strawberries, put them in a bowl. Now, for this part you can use either sweetener (I use Equal or Sweet N’ Low) or sugar. Sprinkle some sweetener over the strawberries to bring out the sweetness. If you like a little whipped cream on top you can get some Reddi Whip which is only 5 calories a serving. My mom swears by it! Personally, I just eat the sweetened strawberries. It makes for a perfect summer treat!
2. Strawberry Daiquiri: if you like strawberries and you like to have a drink during the weekend, this fruity cocktail might be for you. Keep in mind these taste like candy, so please drink responsibly. 🙂
Ingredients: Ice cubes, 2 parts light rum, 2 parts Triple Sec, 1 part fresh strawberries (tops chopped off), lime juice, lime wedges and sugar.
Directions: Add to a blender and puree: ice cubes, light rum, Triple Sec, fresh strawberries and lime juice. Wet the glass rims with lime juice, and roll in sugar. Pour in the daiquiri you’ve just blended and garnish with lime wedge and enjoy! I’m not a huge lime lover, so I usually substitute the lime garnish with a strawberry. Yummy!
Read more at: The Food Network
3. Strawberry Soup: it sounds weird, wouldn’t strawberry soup just be puréed strawberries? Maybe, but this soup is such a summer delight that isn’t very well known so I just had to share. The recipe is quick and easy!
Ingredients: 2 cups of sliced strawberries (fresh or frozen, but if frozen make sure they’re thawed), 1 cup orange juice, 1 cup vanilla yogurt, and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract. If you’d like to add whipped cream on top you can, but it’s optional.
Directions: combine all ingredients in a blender except the whipped cream. Pour into a bowl and garnish with the optional whipped cream. Enjoy!
4. Spinach and Strawberry Salad: a nice light lunch or snack option that you can make when you want it or make it and take it to work! If you want protein as well, why not add some grilled chicken? I like to buy precooked grilled chicken that’s precut for salads at the grocery store. It’s so easy to toss in!
Ingredients: 10-12 ounces of spinach, 1 pint of strawberries, 1/3 cup almonds, and 1 medium cucumber. Chicken is optional.
Directions: Finely chop the cucumber and set aside. Next, slice the strawberries and set aside. Take the spinach and place it in a large serving bowl. Add the chopped cucumber and strawberries that were set aside and then add the remaining ingredients. Lightly toss. Personally I like balsamic with this salad, but you can get creative with it!
5. Strawberry-Cucumber Water: Staying hydrated is extremely vital to your health. Sometimes plain old water can get a little bland, so why not mix it up with natural ingredients instead of sugary sodas or artificial sweeteners? I personally love this recipe because it’s so tasty and thirst quenching.
Ingredients: 8 ounces thinly sliced strawberries, 1/2 cucumber and still or sparkling water.
Directions: add the strawberries and cucumber to a pitcher, then add 2 quarts of water. Place the pitcher in the fridge to infuse for 2-4 hours. Strain the mixture to remove solids and serve cold!
Please let me know your favorites. Enjoy!